This recipe I thought I would share is great for everybody; it is vegetarian friendly, high in fibre, low GI (therefore great for kidney diabetes too), highly alkaline, and packed full of nutrients that your body, and kidneys, will thank you for. Oh yes, and very delicious!
Here’s what you do…
Cooking & preparation time: 40 minutes
- 170g (3/4 cup) dried chickpeas (aka Garbanzo beans)
- 1/3 cup (firmly packed) coriander leaves (aka cilantro)
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/3 cup (firmly packed) continental parsley leaves
- 3 tsp finely grated lemon rind
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- Olive oil spray
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 large (about 350g) eggplant (aka aubergine), ends trimmed, cut into 2.5cm pieces
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 small onion, halved, finely chopped
- 1 small red onion, halved, thinly sliced
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 bunch rocket, ends trimmed, washed, dried, leaves torn
- 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves
- 3 ripe egg tomatoes, each tomato cut into 6 wedges
- 130g (1/2 cup) natural plain soy yoghurt
1. Put chickpeas in a big bowl and cover with cold water. Put aside (overnight) to soak. In the morning drain well.
2. Preheat oven to 200°C.
3. Food process the following items together: chickpeas, cumin, garlic, lemon rind and juice, fresh coriander, ground coriander, brown onion, parsley, and baking powder until smooth.
4. Let mixture stand for 20 minutes to infuse.
5. Grab 2 baking trays and place non-stick baking paper within. Place eggplant on one tray and tomatoes on the other tray. Coat both eggplant and tomatoes with olive oil (spray) lightly.
6. Place trays within the preheated oven, and bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown.
7. Remove from oven then increase oven temperature to 220°C.
8. Place non stick baking paper within a third tray, and divide chickpea mixture into 12 equal portions. Place each portion within your hand and roll into a ball, then flatten slightly. Lay balls on the prepared tray and lightly spray with olive oil spray. Place within oven. Bake for 15mins or until golden brown (turn them halfway – at 7mins)
9. Place the rest of the ingredients: rocket, roasted eggplant, mint, red onion and roasted tomato in a large bowl and gently mix.
10. Place equal portions of the salad within 4 bowls, top with the baked falafels and fresh natural soy yoghurt. Season with pepper to taste. Best served immediately.
So there you have it folks, one delicious, healthy and nutritious kidney recipe for you and your family. Please leave me your feedback below when you try it out!
image source: http: //4.bp.blogspot.com/_rR_Af6AVt4Q/TLKciGxrmOI/AAAAAAAADKI/kiuqbkOfM8s/s1600/Falafel+and+Roasted+Eggplant+Salad+2.jpg