Hi guys! You’re going to L.O.V.E. this recipe. It makes me feel good just looking at it (i.e. salivate)! And the great thing is that it actually is really beneficial for your kidneys. Here’s why:
1. The overall effect of this recipe on the body is alkalising – which is one of the most important actions necessary to retaining and maintaining good kidney function.
2. Buckwheat is a fantastic gluten free grain, that not only allows for delicious pancakes to be made, but because it is gluten free it is totally edible for those with IgA Nephropathy kidney disease. Gluten exacerbates this condition.
3. And lastly because it is packed with three super foods: raspberries, blueberries and walnuts. All of these super foods actually have qualities that are beneficial for the kidneys, particularly as seen from a traditional Chinese medicine perspective. Raspberries and blueberries enrich and cleanse the kidneys, control urinary function, and treat anemia – which is a common complication of kidney disease. Walnuts on the other hand nourish the kidney-adrenals, including the brain.
A definite must to spice up your kidney diet!
Cooking & preparation time: 20mins
- 2 cups gluten-free buckwheat flour
- 1 cup soy milk
- 300g fresh raspberries
- 300g fresh blueberries
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- olive oil cooking spray
- 50g walnuts
- ½ cup organic maple syrup
- Optional: 2 tbsp Goji berries if desired
- Sift buckwheat flour and cinnamon into a large bowl
- Then make a well in the centre of the flour, and slowly whisk in egg, soy milk, and 1 cup of water to a smooth consistency
- Cover non-stick frying pan with a light cooking oil (e.g. olive oil oil cooking spray)
- Add 2–3 tbsp of the batter and cook over medium, flip once cooking side is golden brown
- Flip pancake and heat other side.
- Remove and keep warm between two large plates while cooking remaining batter.
- To dish up, stack pancakes upon each other and top with raspberries, blueberries, walnuts and maple syrup (and Goji berries if desired).
Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!
Speak to you soon with more great tips and kidney diet recipes!
Image source: http: //www. mindfood.com/upload/images/article_images/092009/45fbcc5b-a74e-4246-81a2-34d2da890fff.jpg