This may seem a blatantly obvious statement to make to many people, but I am surprised time and time again how often this is overlooked when treating one’s health. But then again, this may be second nature to me as throughout my naturopathic studies I was always told, verbatim: “treat the person, not the disease, treat the cause, not the symptoms”.
For example, this is most obvious when you slice your finger with a knife; you do not try and remedy the situation by increasing the strength of your skin so it can withstand knife penetrations do you? (I hope not, as that would be a little crazy!) No, you try and slice with more accuracy, because it was the handling of the knife that was the cause of the cut, not the skin being too weak.
The same can be said for let’s say, using pain medication for a headache. Are you treating the ‘headache’? Think about it. Or are you really inhibiting the ‘pain’?
A good question to ask before you ever treat yourself is “what am I trying to achieve here?”
If you are trying to achieve quick relief from the pain, then yes this is a VERY wise thing to consider, otherwise, if you are trying to heal, cure, or remedy the headache then you are entirely going about it the wrong way.
Though the solution to the cause of the headache maybe a tricky one to work out initially – as there are many possible causes: magnesium deficiency, spinal problems, estrogen dominance, high blood pressure, heavy metal toxicity, neurological disorders, just to name a few – it ALWAYS results in lifelong healing. Well worth the time and investigation, I believe.
…You see, when you realise the cause of YOUR kidney disease, you will be freed from its hold on you. And it won’t stop just at your kidneys, your whole body & life will be transformed by the flow on effect.
“One’s health displays the law of ‘cause and effect’ with perfection”
Take diabetes for example, the number one cause of kidney disease in the world, do you believe just treating the kidneys will be enough to heal them permanently if you leave your diabetes unchecked?
Of course not, but think about this, do you believe that by treating your diabetes together with your kidneys that you will experience far greater health than limiting it to the kidneys alone? Of course you will, in fact, you will experience such a shift in health you won’t even believe it’s the same body! You have gone up a level in healing; you are no longer looking at the body as parts, you now appreciate it as a dynamic and intelligent whole organism.
Let’s have a look at some of the types/causes of kidney disease and some quick tips on how you can help your body heal:
1. Kidney Disease Induced by Diabetes:
- Have small frequent meals throughout the day, with a serve of protein with each main meal
- Consume low GL (Glycemic Load) carbohydrates, such as apples, chickpeas, lentils, pineapple, corn, carrots, and kidney beans
- Nutrition: Chromium, magnesium, zinc, B vitamins
- Herbal Medicine: Gymnema, bitter melon, goat’s rue
2. Kidney Disease Induced by High Blood Pressure:
- Reduce stress: Sport, meditation, fun!
- Restrict sodium levels to no more than 3500mg a day (3.5grams a day)
- Nutrition: Magnesium, Coenzyme Q 10
- Herbal Medicine: Lime flowers/tree, Hawthorn leaves or berries
- Increase essential fatty acid containing foods: fish, nuts, and seeds
- Avoid gluten containing foods: e.g. wheat, rye, spelt, oats, barley
- Nutrition: Quercetin, Fish Oil
- Herbal medicine: Echinacea
4. Kidney Disease Induced by Drug toxicity
- Limit all medications where possible
- Increase bitter vegetables to stimulate liver function: i.e bitter greens: radicchio & endive
- Nutrition: Selenium, vitamin C,
- Herbal medicine: Bupleurum, milk thistle, schisandra
Hopefully this has got you thinking, thinking of what might have been the trigger for your kidney disease, so you find the KEY to unlocking your full healing potential. Make sure you speak to your doctor to ask what caused YOUR kidney disease, and what tests could be performed to help assess this. Also make a point of looking for a good Naturopath, or Acupuncturist in your local area, they can help you with determining your cause also and put together a tailored treatment plan to get you back on track and help you avoid dialysis.
In best of health,