Kidney tonifying asparagus and beans, team up in this satisfying salad that’s as delicious as it is healthy.
I came across this delicious recipe not too long ago and just had to share. Not only is it beneficial for your kidneys but is also really tasty. Both asparagus and green bean are renowned for their kidney healing benefits within Traditional Chinese Medicine. Check it out below. Serve it up for your next family meal, or when you are next entertaining guests. It really is that versatile.
Cooking & preparation time: 20mins
- 225g (½ pound) green (string) beans
- 340g (¾ pound) asparagus, trimmed off ends
- ½ an onion, preferably red
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 1 cup parsley, flat-leaf parsley preferred
- 2 tomatoes thinly sliced lengthwise
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ cup basil
- ¼ cup grated hard cheese (e.g. Parmigiano-Reggiano/Parmesan)
- 1 clove garlic, removed from skin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Bring a pot of water to the boil, and add a pinch of salt
- Add the green beans to the pot, then cover and cook for 2 minutes
- Uncover pot, add the asparagus and cook for another 3 minutes (If using pencil asparagus, blanch for 1 to 2 minutes.)
- Drain well and then run the vegetables under cold water to stop cooking process. Then drain once more
- Using clean kitchen towels completely dry the vegetables
- Cut the asparagus and beans into 2-inch segments (leave the heads of the asparagus whole)
- Blend the beans and asparagus with the ½ a cup of parsley and onion in a shallow bowl
- Mix the lemon zest and juice right through
- The remaining ½ a cup of parsley and herbs is to be placed into a food processor (with cheese). With the food processor turned on, pour in the extra-virgin olive oil through mixing shute.
- Season the dressing with salt and pepper and pour over the salad. Season the sliced tomatoes with salt and garnish salad with them.
image source: http: //img.foodnetwork.com/FOOD/2007/02/23/tm1411_salad_lg.jpg
About the Author: Hello, my name is Duncan Capicchiano, I am the owner and creator of KidneyCoach.com. My professional background is Naturopathy, and I am also an International Author and Researcher that specialises in the treatment and management of kidney disease. My most famous work in kidney disease is The Kidney Disease Solution Program. Lastly - but most importantly - I am the loving "father" of my two dogs Ruby and Pebbles, my horse Cossie, and husband to my beautiful wife, Fiona.